Newsletter #3 - January 2023

 Hey there!


Oh, boy. A lot has happened since my last newsletter! The biggest thing, of course, was the Christmas season and the start of a new year. As I’m sure you can imagine, Christmastime in Bethlehem is an especially rowdy time of year. People come from all over Palestine, and indeed from all over the world, to witness the tree lighting in Manger Square near the Church of Nativity, honored as the location of Jesus’ birth. The streets bustle with pop-up markets full of gifts, treats, and handicrafts. To be totally honest - I was overwhelmed! I chose a few activities to participate in, then took some time to get some much-needed rest. On Christmas Eve, I sang with the Olive Branches Choir at two services seven hours apart: 5pm at Christmas Lutheran and the midnight mass at Bethlehem University. Singing in church has always been an important aspect of worship for me, and it was soul-feeding to be able to sing songs both new and familiar as a means of participating in Christmas in the Holy Land. 


In the new year, the biggest news has been the ordination of Sally Azar, the first Palestinian woman to be ordained in the Holy Land. This was an extra-special time for me, because my mom came to visit for the week! She arrived in the evening the Friday before the ordination, and on Saturday we got matching tattoos at Razzouk, the oldest tattoo shop in the world. It is located near Jaffa Gate in Jerusalem, and the Razzouk family has been tattooing Christian pilgrims for 700 years, 27 generations. We spent the rest of the week eating knafeh, a traditional Palestinian dessert made from pastry, cheese, pistachios, and sugar syrup, exploring Jerusalem and Bethlehem, and visiting my two service sites, Dar Al-Kalima school and the Environmental Education Center. It was lots of fun being able to show my mom the places that have become like home to me here, as well as introduce her to my host family, coworkers, and friends.


To say that the ordination on Sunday was a big event would be an understatement. Over 100 clergy, including my mom, attended from all over the world and across denominations. In total, more than 500 people attended the service at Redeemer Lutheran Church in Jerusalem (including, probably, a few tourists who managed to slip by the volunteers who were stationed at the doors... oops). There were prayers, blessings, and tears of joy as Sally was welcomed into her new role as the first ever female Palestinian pastor. I felt honored to have been able to attend and participate in such a historic event, and I'm sure I will never forget it.


As we approach the end of January, I am coming to the halfway point of my service year. So far, it has been joyous and challenging, educational and uplifting, exhausting and energizing. I have learned and grown in ways I could not have imagined before, and I am grateful for every moment spent here. I am looking forward to the second half of the year, and I am excited to share it with you. Thanks for following along.


Blessings,


Harper


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Reflections As We Move Into the New Year

YAGM Newsletter - May 2023

Some reflections, and a story

Subscribe to my bimonthly Newsletter! (to get blog updates click on "Follow" in the sidebar)

* indicates required