Waiting in Limbo...

 Pre-Departure, Post-Orientation

Hey there!

Welcome to my first blog post! I'm glad you could make it. I have never had a blog before, or even really kept a journal, so bear with me as I get the hang of airing out all my thoughts and feelings here on the Internet.

It is currently about four days post-orientation and now that I have had some time to recover from the intensity of that week, I am anxiously awaiting the day I fly out to meet my cohort in Washington, DC for our consulate appointment. From there we will all fly together to Tel Aviv and begin our in-country orientation. The whiplash of being at orientation with all the other YAGMs and then suddenly quarantining back at home, alone, after having made all those new connections and budding friendships... has proven tough. But on the other hand, now I am looking forward to re-entry, to see all of them again and hear their stories!

Since the end of orientation, I have had a knot of nervous excitement that has invaded my stomach. Some of it comes from anticipation, and some of it comes from the grief for what I am leaving behind. I have been looking forward to participating in YAGM since I was a teenager - I decided in high school that this is what I wanted to do after graduating college. I applied last year, but of course the program was once again postponed a year due to COVID. Now it is finally almost time to leave, and I am feeling ALL the feelings about it. 

Since YAGM didn't go out last year, I decided to instead do a year of service in my hometown of Denver, Colorado through an organization called Urban Servant Corps. After four years going to college out of state, it was nice to be living back at home closer to family, and rediscovering Denver. I spent many nights dancing Lindy Hop at the Mercury Cafe, built many new friendships I will carry with me throughout my life, and learned many new skills that will serve me well in the years to come. While I am beyond excited to begin my journey to the Holy Land, I am sad to be leaving the life I built here behind (especially dancing!).

Since my year will be spent in the Holy Land, I have decided that the running theme of these blog posts will be Holyness. What is Holyness? Where is the Holy in the mundane? Where does it show up in ways both expected and unexpected? And what happens when a Holy thing becomes corrupted?

I won't answer these questions. In fact, I am not even going to try to answer them directly. But I hope my musings will encourage you to think about these questions, and to embrace what is Holy in your own self.

That's enough from me for now. More to come!

Peace,

Harper

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Reflections As We Move Into the New Year

YAGM Newsletter - May 2023

Some reflections, and a story

Subscribe to my bimonthly Newsletter! (to get blog updates click on "Follow" in the sidebar)

* indicates required